The term "Blue Whale" comes from the phenomenon of beached whales, which is linked to suicide. (wikipedia.org)
Blue Whale Game began in Russia in 2013 and caused first suicide in 2015. Philipp Budeikin a psychology student who was expelled from the university, claimed that he invented the game with purpose- to "clean" the world by pushing mentally weak to suicide . Budeikin was arrested and found guilty to "inciting at least 16 teenage girls to commit suicide", leading to Russian Suicide Prevention Legislation.
Cases have been reported in various countries like Argentina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, China, Colombia, Georgia, India, Italy, Kenya, Paraguay, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Spain, United States, Uruguay and Venezuela (Source- wikipedia.org)
Cases in India-
In Kerala a 16 year old boy commited suicide on 26th July 2017 after playing the online Blue Whale Game. It was said that he ended his life after completing the tasks of this game. His mother acknowledged that her son had informed her about playing the Blue Whale Game, and that he told her not to worry if he dies soon. Boy used to visit cemeteries during the night and go to sea beaches alone.
On 30th July 2017, 14 year old boy committed suicide by jumping from the seventh floor of an building in Mumbai, though the Mumbai Police said that they had not found evidence that the teenager had played the game. The boy left a statement - Only thing you will be left with is a picture of mine.
On 10th August 2017, a class VII student of Indore, Madhya Pradesh attempted to suicide and was pulled away by other students. The boy apparently recorded the whole 50 stages of the game, in his school diary.
The government has directed Internet and social networking giants such as Google, Facebook and Microsoft to “immediately remove” any link to the “deadly game” Blue Whale which has allegedly caused several suicides by children in the country.
- Talk to your child, let them share anything they want or see anything which scares them.
- Use Parental Control Software.
- Notice if they are withdrawing from family and friends.
- Notice any change in their behavior like outburst of anger, irritation, sleeping disorder etc.
- Antivirus/Internet Security software also have features to block unwanted websites, keywords, content etc.
- Monitor Internet History, the websites your children browse.
- Check their text messages, log messages, whatsapp, snapchat etc.
- Check what do they do on Social Networking Websites, be friend on their Facebook etc.
- Loss of interest in any activity which they loved.
- If required don’t hesitate in taking
the expert’s help.
I value your feedback so write your queries, suggestions.
In case of any technical support please do write at -
Disclaimer: Kindly do not post any defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful material or information.